Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Common

How attached are you to your mobile phone?  GPS?  Other electronic gizmos?  Many of us silver haired geezers will wax philosophically about rotary dial phones, smoke signals, cans attached with strings, and trudging through seven feet of snow walking to school; all to the dismay of younger people.

Vintage bikes get similar responses.  Someone rode that "thing!" is a usual response.  Yes indeedy!  In fact, I rode it so fast that it tore the hair off my head and that is why I have this bald spot, you see....

Actually, today's machines are marvels in comparison, just like many of the items we now take for granted.  My first "laptop" weighed 40 pounds and sported two 5 1/4 disc drives (look them up whippersnappers.) Now, my phone has more computing power than the first space capsules and my bike has more horsepower with less weight, better brakes, handling, well, everything.

We all get to the point where we consider what we have as common.  Yet, the technology and advancement isn't common at all.  Our bikes and ATVs are significantly better, faster, while getting even better fuel economy.  We think our mobile phone is a crapper, when just a few years ago they were flip phones, before that the size of toasters, and before that, well, they were wired to the wall.

One of the things I like about riding is the fact that I cannot take a call.  I like the phone off, letting my riding do the talking.  Yes, I still carry it with me, for the potential emergency, GPS, or call home.  But, it is also great to close off the distractions, focus on the moment, and enjoy that someone can't get ahold of me.  And that, I guess, is old school, but uncommon.  Which is why we ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment