Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fathers Day is rapidly approaching.  The day is a contrast to Mothers Day, as I think most of the husbands and sons are not as good in planning as the wives and daughters.  Proof you say?!  Just go to Walmart on Mothers Day weekend and Fathers Day weekend and go to the card section.  That section is jammed with guys on Mothers Day.  Much more empty on Fathers Day.

Honestly, though, cards are an after thought anyway.  I'd much rather get a hug from my daughter and son than a foofy card.  It's much more fun to talk with them face to face, have a bite to eat, and enjoy why one is a father in the first place.

I no longer have the luxury to give a card to my Mother or Father.  All I can do is send them a thought.  If I had a gift to receive, it would be for extra time to ask them questions about them, about family, about life.  On Fathers Day, I'd ask my dad to go for a ride, or a walk, or maybe just have a couple of glasses of lemonade.  I'd probably get him to latest cool baseball cap, something from FMF, since he used to talk to Donny Emler years ago.  And then we would bench race, with me embellishing how fast I'm going these days.  Which is true, life is too fast,  and I'm going 100.

What are you going to do for Pop on Fathers Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment